The student news site of Rockwood Summit High School

Coding club

Lily Porter, Of the Talon Staff

Beginning just two years ago, the Coding Club learns about programming and creating apps, websites, and games, as well as compete in programming competitions and hackathons.

During the 2016-2017 school year, there were about 20 members. This year however, it is likely that there will be closer to 30. The group meets every other Wednesday throughout the year with their sponsor Kelly Kennedy, to learn about all things technology.

“We’re actually talking today, our first meeting, about possibly changing the name because we don’t just do coding, we actually do a lot of technology based activities.” Kennedy said.

The club works with much more than coding, such as developing websites, developing mobile apps, and creating the graphic design of what an app might look like. Last year, the club had a few teams that entered a competition hosted by Verizon. These teams had to come up with a mobile app that would benefit the community or their school based on a problem they saw. The idea would be submitted via video presenting the problem and the solution they had come up with.

“In the spring we always have a couple teams that compete in an actual coding competition. They have to go and program code to meet certain output requirements,” Kennedy said.

The teams also compete in hacking competitions in which they try to figure out how to crack into websites, as well as competitions that involve using science and technology to solve a world problem. This year in April, a team consisting of senior Matt Edgar, alum Donny Shaw (class of 2017), and alum Jeffrey Meyer (class of 2017) competed in the Webster University School of Business and Technology coding competition, and won fourth place. They had placed sixth the year before.

Coding club also works with robotics, about 25 to 30 percent of the members crossover and also work with the robotics club. The club is trying to get grant money to buy an actual robot to work with, instead of building one.

“We would code that robot to do certain things like have it recognize students as they come in, to take attendance, we could do like eye recognition and different things that we want to code it to do,” Kennedy said.

Coding club