The student news site of Rockwood Summit High School

Reeling in a new club

Junior works to create a fishing club

Junior Doug Guidorzi, Liam Curtright, and Wyatt Shedlebower toss lures off of the boat. The team took the day off to practice fishing at George Winter Park for the upcoming season.

Devon Robinson

Devon Robinson, Of the Talon Staff

During the winter of 2014 students put effort into making a club that was growing and becoming popular.

Junior Doug Guidorzi worked with activities director Mitch Lefkowitz in order to start a fishing club for students who enjoy to fish competitively.

After discovering sports weren’t Guidorzi’s thing he started the fishing club.

“I’ve always heard in high school that you should do what you like to do and I like to play sports, but they weren’t my thing. So, I decided I should do what I like to do and that is fishing,” Guidorzi said.

This club has three member, juniors, Wyatt Shedelbower, Liam Curtright and Guidorzi. Within the club, they compete in tournaments and have practices where the team spends the day on a lake fishing. The team uses mainly bait casters and open faced reels with jigs, swimbaits, and spinnerbaits for lures. Curtright saw how the sport took off and was making an impact on high school clubs around the country.

“I saw how the sport was growing and I decided I wanted to be a part of the growth,” Curtright said.

When the club is competing, they have a parent or an adult drive the boat. Since this club is not school sponsored the team has to do multiple fundraisers and get sponsors from local businesses.

The team of three travel through Missouri and to Kentucky to fish in two different leagues. In one league the team fishes on lakes such as Lake of the Ozark, Table Rock Lake and Stocken Lake. In the second league they fish on Kentucky Lake and Truman Lake. On Kentucky Lake, Guidorzi and Curtright finished 4th out of 117 other boats. Guidorzi and Curtright were the fourth boat to launch, to be put in, in which they went to a spot they previously found and fished there the whole day. At the spot they had multiple great catches that equaled 16 pounds and six ounces. During state tournaments there are roughly 180 boats and the winners receive $5,000 to $10,000 of scholarships to a school of their choice. The winners of state you also move on to fish Midwestern regionals potentially winning up to $50,000 in scholarships. In the state championship the team had trouble catching their limits, the amount of fish needed to be caught which is usually five, but Guidorzi  enjoyed the day.

“It was an overall good experience because we have never done it before and it was cool to go out there and do what you like to do and have fun,” Guidorzi said.

Shedelbower states that fishing is a great escape for the team during the weekends.

“ I like being with my friends; I’d much rather be catching fish somewhere on a lake than [at school],” Shedelbower said.

The team hopes to go to Alabama to fish at Lake Pickwick in the 2016 High School Fishing World Champions to win over $60,000 in scholarship money.

Reeling in a new club