The student news site of Rockwood Summit High School

Winning it all

Soccer takes State Championship 6-0 over Carthage

Sarah Faust

0 TO 6 ARMY Surrounded by fans, junior Billy Hency is lifted up with the State Championship trophy. Hency scored the game-winning goal in the semifinal game and another goal in the championship.

Sarah Faust, Photo Editor

Boys soccer made history on Nov. 12 when they defeated Carthage Senior High School 6-0 to win the State Championship.
Along with being the first soccer team from the school to win state, the boys broke a record with their plethora of goals. Their six goals in the game at World Wide Technology Soccer Park set the record for the most goals scored in a Class 3 Missouri State Championship game. This paired nicely with senior goalie Peter Baker’s shutout, and resulted in a win for the 026 Army.
“It is something we have been working for four years and it is just awesome to finally get it done. [The shutout] is a good way to end it too. Being a goalie, letting up no goals in your final game is what you want,” Baker said.
Coach Chris Kappler has been to the Final Four with the boys before and even the Championship twice with the girls team, but the win on Saturday marks his first State Championship win. Kappler said it was perfect.
“It has been a long time coming, a dream come true, and I am glad I did it with this group of guys,” Kappler said. “They had a goal and they weren’t going to settle for anything less. Our seniors were incredible leaders and they were a big part of this State Championship. Twenty two years of coaching and finally reaching the pinnacle of your career. A lot of ups and a lot of downs, but I’ve finally got something that has alluded me for a long time.”
The scorers of the six goals were, in order, junior Corey Goede, senior Joe Holzem, junior Devon Montgomery, junior Matthew Kogut, and junior Billy Hency. Kogut had two back-to-back goals in the second half.
“I felt like we controlled the game. We were a little antsy going in, but we had confidence that we were going to win,” Kogut said.
Senior captain Colin Hilpert said the team’s preparation reflected what they had been doing previously.
“[We prepared] the same way we’ve been preparing the rest of the season, just keeping it light at practice with a good atmosphere and everyone staying focused. The coaches had our game plan and we went out and executed,” Hilpert said.
The team finished with a 27-2-1 record. Both the coaches and the players commented on the camaraderie that was shown during their successful season. After his final high school game, Hilpert said he appreciated his teammates’ hard work and all-in attitudes.
“They work hard, which is great. Everyone gives everything they can. It is an honor to play with them,” Hilpert said.

• SPORTS

Senior breaks soccer assist record

• FEATURES

Radio: theater of the mind

• Winning it all

NEWS

College opportunity

• FEATURES

Winter Dance: Road Trip

• Winning it all

Top Stories

Principal Dr. Renee Trotier named Missouri Association of Secondary School Principal’s POY

• Winning it all

NEWS

Athletic Hall of Fame honors alumni

• Winning it all

NEWS

Student band raises money with farewell concert

• NEWS

College scare

• Winning it all

NEWS

Hour of learning, exploring code

• NEWS

Pas de cell

Winning it all