The student news site of Rockwood Summit High School

College opportunity

Senior finalist for scholar leadership award

Jack Buck Scholar-Leadership award finalist senior Nathan Higgins reads a broadcast in the radio station. Higgins will find out if he received the award on April 28.

Sarah Faust

Isabella Eslick, Copy Editor

Upon entering the new semester, senior Nathan Higgins discovered on Jan. 18 that he is a top six finalist for the Jack Buck Scholar-Leadership Award from Southeast Missouri State University (SEMO).

According to SEMO’s website, the award recipient must demonstrate “outstanding character, academic ability and the potential to be a leader in the community.” It is named after former KMOX sportscaster Jack Buck. Higgins said he feels honored to be a finalist and the award is an amazing opportunity.

“I feel awesome! Everything has been great and going pretty well. The award itself is just awesome ,”Higgins said.

College specialist Ivy Hutchinson is who nominated Higgins for the award. The school had to choose a nominee for the award that was interested in attending SEMO in the fall, so Hutchinson talked with other staff members and she said they decided Higgins was the best choice.

“Nathan is very versatile. He’s in so many extracurricular activities. He’s in Pardon the Youth, radio, you see him on stage. This was a neat fit for him because of radio,” Hutchinson said. “We also had to base our decision on who was strong in academics. Nathan was the right person to apply for this award.”

Applicants for the award had to have at least a 3.6 grade point average and ACT score of 27.

After being notified of the nomination at a musical rehearsal, Higgins had to get two letters of recommendation and attend a panel interview with a team of judges. Higgins said the interview went exactly as planned.

“I was sat in a room and asked questions based on leadership qualities,” Higgins said. “I thought the interview went very well and I felt confident and prepared.”

Higgins will find out if he will be receiving the award at a luncheon on April 28. Hutchinson said Higgins will be fine if he is not the recipient of the award.

“Even if he does not get it, it is still a huge honor to be one of the other five finalists,” Hutchinson said.

The non recipients receive money and other little perks. Higgins said he won’t be upset if he is not awarded the scholarship.

“I won’t be sad if I don’t get it. I believe everything happens for a reason and someone probably needed it more,” Higgins said.

• FEATURES

Radio: theater of the mind

• College opportunity

NEWS

Athletic Hall of Fame honors alumni

• College opportunity

NEWS

Student band raises money with farewell concert

• NEWS

College scare

• College opportunity

NEWS

Hour of learning, exploring code

• NEWS

Pas de cell

• College opportunity

NEWS

KFTN hosts student concert

• College opportunity

NEWS

Eight down, two to go

• NEWS

Bands of America Experience

• NEWS

Crucial Catch Video

College opportunity