The student news site of Rockwood Summit High School

Athletic Hall of Fame honors alumni

Four alumni recognized before basketball game

Principal Dr. Renee Trotier embraces alumni Jordan Haliburton during the Athletic Hall of Fame induction. The induction was held on Jan. 4 and Krista McMahan, Melissa Menghini, and Sam Pennington were all class of 2016 inductees.

Sarah Faust

Isabella Eslick, Copy Editor

Alumni Jordan Haliburton, Krista McMahan, Melissa Menghini, and Sam Pennington (all Class of 2016) were inducted into the school’s Athletic Hall of Fame on Jan. 4.

The ceremony was held in the main gym right before the boys varsity basketball game. During the ceremony, Activities Director Mitch Lefkowitz named each alum’s athletic achievements in high school and what college they are currently attending. Lefkowitz said choosing who is inducted into the Hall of Fame can be a tough decision.

“There’s a lot of criteria that goes into it. We want to honor the most outstanding athletes while still recognizing as many people as possible,” Lefkowitz said. “Some of the students chosen were State Champions, some were recognized by directors’ associations, some made State teams. I think these four students really went above and beyond the normal high school athlete.”

The plaques for the inductees can be found in a glass case hanging on the wall beside the gym facing the Activities Lobby. Menghini, who received a cross country scholarship to the University of New Hampshire, said being chosen for the Hall of Fame was something she will never forget.

“After doing well in an activity that I find very enjoyable, it’s humbling to be recognized for it and I’m honored that I was chosen,” Menghini said.

Pennington said his athletic success in high school football and wrestling mentally and physically prepared him for what he would face while attending Lindenwood University.

“I was able to achieve all but one of my goals in high school. I felt that I was ready for college, although it was a little rough getting adjusted this year. I was redshirted this year, but I’ve put in more hard work and plan to continue doing so so I can be a starting player soon,” Pennington said.

McMahan said her whole soccer career has been astonishing and rewarding from high school to college.

“At Summit, it was amazing to take the team to State finals two years in row, and then now winning Conference at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. It is pretty cool and satisfying to have been chosen for the Hall of Fame because of that,” McMahan said.

Haliburton, best known for his football career, said playing on Arizona Western University’s team and being inducted into the Hall of Fame have been an eye opening experience.

“In high school, it kind of seemed like I was ‘that guy’ on the team. When I got to college, everyone there was ‘that guy’. Realizing that has made the Hall of Fame an even bigger blessing. I never thought I’d be recognized for something I love doing every day,” Haliburton said. “What also makes this special is that my mom never really got to see my games in high school. She was always working and providing for the family. She was able to see me get this award tonight.”

After having gotten to know the four alumni while they were in high school, Lefkowitz said it was exciting to be able to recognize them for their achievements now.

“They’ve grown up a lot since they’ve been gone. I know Summit’s coaches and teachers definitely helped them get to where they are now,” Lefkowitz said. “I’m proud of everyone one of them, and I hope they continue to positively represent Summit throughout college.”

• FEATURES

Radio: theater of the mind

• Athletic Hall of Fame honors alumni

NEWS

College opportunity

• Athletic Hall of Fame honors alumni

NEWS

Student band raises money with farewell concert

• NEWS

College scare

• Athletic Hall of Fame honors alumni

NEWS

Hour of learning, exploring code

• NEWS

Pas de cell

• Athletic Hall of Fame honors alumni

NEWS

KFTN hosts student concert

• Athletic Hall of Fame honors alumni

NEWS

Eight down, two to go

• NEWS

Bands of America Experience

• NEWS

Crucial Catch Video

Athletic Hall of Fame honors alumni